Dutch Doc Award
Until 10 June 2012, Park Hall
Dutch Doc Award - the most important price for Dutch documentary photography - opens its first exhibition in the Tropenmuseum. The next three years, there will be an intensive collaboration between the museum and Dutch Doc Award.
Peter Verdaasdonk, director of the Tropenmuseum: "We share the same passion. Like Dutch Doc we tell (often hidden) stories, in which our visitors can escape from the issues of the day. Both with documentary photography and our exhibitions you can show how universal themes and feelings are."
Until 10 June you can view the six best projects from the Dutch documentary photography in our Park Hall. During the exhibition you can also view an online exhibition about the museum’s rich historical photo collection.
The jury of the Dutch Doc Award chose a shortlist of six nominations in 2012 from a longlist of 38 projects:
- Anouk Kruithof: Lang zal ze leven (Long may they live), a report on her project in a psychiatric institution.
- Milou Abel: Ik ben jou (I am you), a dummy book, which previously won a major prize at the international book fair of Kassel.
- Bertien van Manen: Let’s Sit Down Before We Go, a special selection from her work brought together by the photographer Stephen Gill.
- Sarah Carlier: Four Years, Three Deaths, Sweaty Armpits and a Fetus, exhibition, videos and a book.
- Paulien Oltheten: Photos from Japan and my Archive, a playful and poetic collection of various ideas.
- Carel van Hees: multimedia project about the life of Cor Eversteijn, a boxer and barber.
Dutch Doc Award Ceremony: be there!
On 6 June one of the six nominees will receive the Dutch Doc Award. The winner of the award also receives € 20,000.
8:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.:
Dutch Doc Award ceremony
Talkshow hosted by Bahram Sadeghi, musical performances, speakers and festive ceremony with drinks after. There is a bar where you can buy drinks and a meal (from 6 p.m.).
Prior to the talk show (5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) there is a Professional Pre Award with a debate, screenings and room for networking.
As the Dutch Doc Award 2012 celebrates current documentary photography, the photo archives of the Tropenmuseum also contain documentary photography, for example from the beginning of the 20th century.
View the online exhibition with photos of interiors in the Dutch East Indies.