Welcome to the party shop!
Our party shop is a cheery, family venue where you can find things from all over the world that are used in all kinds of different celebrations. Every day somewhere in the world, something is being celebrated. We don’t all share the same celebrations, but we all like a party. Take a look around in our party shop and discover celebrations you didn’t know existed. Do our music quiz, learn a festive dance or pick the best party outfit!
Japanese Children's Day (Kodomo no Hi)
In Party! Worldwide we’re celebrating Japanese Children’s Day this summer, from July 6. All over the world there are days centred on fathers (father’s day), mothers (mother’s day), boys (ceremonial initiation in Papua New Guinea) or girls (Quinceañera in Latin America). Japan has a day especially for children, Kodomo no Hi, on May 5.
Creative activity: Make your own koi carp
Japan’s Children’s Day is held annually on May 5 to round off ‘golden week’. On this day the streets are decorated with colourful Japanese carp made of paper. Make your own carp and discover why they’re so special:
- When: every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
- Time: 12.00 – 16.00
- For: 4+
- Numbers: Up to 12 children
- Price: Activity is free (excluding museum entry).
- Reservations are not possible, children can join if there are still places, new arrivals until 15:30
- Please note: this activity is not open to BSO groups. Please consult our programme for BSOs.
- More information: 088- 0042 840 (Mon through Fri, 10:00 – 17:00).
Things That Matter is scheduled to be shown for 5 years and has been created with the support of the BankGiro Loterij and partly in collaboration with Utrecht’s Museum Catharijneconvent.