Collection of almost 60.000 books
Looking for information about non-European art, material culture and related objects? The library of Museum Volkenkunde has a collection of almost 60,000 books, more than 1,000 series of magazines (of which about 100 are still running), pamphlets and maps.
Everyone is welcome to consult this collection, but lending is unfortunately not possible. There are facilities for making copies.
Dear visitor to the library,
Please be aware that the library is temporarily closed until further notice, due to the coronavirus measures.
When we can open again, the following rules apply to every visit to the library, until further notice:
- Your visit is only possible by appointment during opening hours of the library: Tuesday to Friday, 1 pm - 5 pm.
- We ask you to provide us in advance by e-mail with all necessary information, such as time, date, purpose and expected duration of your visit. You must also include your phone number.
- As always, we would also like to know in advance which publications - books, magazines, etc. - you wish to consult.
- Upon arrival we ask you to fill in a form with which you declare that you are corona free.
- During your stay in the library, it is mandatory to wear a face mask.
We are currently updating our online catalog. This makes it temporarily unavailable. Questions about our collection may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Center for Material Culture
Boerhaave building (located next to Museum Volkenkunde).
Steenstraat 1A 2312 BS Leiden
T. 088 0042 907